/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Madonna (Short Story) | KidPub Press //
The Madonna (Short Story)

The Madonna (Short Story)

Posted February 1st, 2019 by AlgebraAddict

by Esther
in

February 1st, 2019

It was the sort of Madonna that the artists of 500 years ago tended to not paint. The eyes of the Virgin Mary were sometimes turned up in Renaissance pieces, captured in a moment of prayer to the one whose plan she played such an integral part in. Sometimes her eyes were turned downwards to the Child suckling at her breast; a gentle reminder of the cosmic paradox of her motherhood—she gives life to the one who gave life to all.

In this depiction, she wonders at a different paradox. Her eyes, hooded and deep set, look up just past the observer’s head. Her pupils are constricted, as if gazing directly into a great light, but her face shows no sign of flinching, no desire—or no way—to shrink from the terrible sight before her now. The artist’s first and only objective in this piece was to ensure that any who chanced upon these terrible eyes would immediately glance over their shoulder—even if they weren’t sure why.

Satisfied with his work, the artist zips his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. The wind picks up, carrying the familiar scent of spray paint further into the alley. Even as the artist turns away, tearing his eyes from those on the alley wall, he half-expects to see a crucifix in the shadows behind him.

See more stories by Esther
Is she at the foot of the

Is she at the foot of the cross? Gazing at the world today? Both?

-why is it a grafitti artist (or is it a grafitti artist) who's doing this? 

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* on Sun, 02/03/2019 - 10:26
both and yes??? I saw some

both and yes??? I saw some catholic grafitti in LA n it wasn't exactly this but it inspired me because it was so weird and out of place and also really interesting. It's kinda common in Greece too

Posted by Esther on Mon, 02/04/2019 - 00:08