/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ My essay about a character from the book The Outsiders tell me your thoughts( spoiler alert, be aware!) | KidPub Press //
My essay about a character from the book The Outsiders tell me your thoughts( spoiler alert, be aware!)

Posted May 2nd, 2019 by chicken123

May 3rd, 2019

More of a Friend Than Just Another Gang Member

Johnny is more of family to his gang than a friend. We learned this in S.E. Hinton’s book, The Outsiders. In the book, a poor gang of greasers have a rivalry with a rich gang called the Socs. Johnny is a greaser, and he is more family to the gang than a friend or gang member. Having a rough life at home, he struggles to find someone who loves him. But he has the gang on his side. When he and Ponyboy get jumped by Socs, he kills their leader, Bob. Him and Ponyboy run away to a town called Windrixville. In the book, Ponyboy and Johnny’s friendships grow, and how Dally helps them along the way. They show a great act of heroism, when Johnny runs into a burning church to save a bunch of kids. He sacrificed himself to save them. Johnny spends most of his time anywhere but home. He sleeps in the vacant lot under the stars, and in the houses of the rest of gang. They all look after him, and they make sure he has a place to go. Dally wanted any one of the gang to die except Johnny. He said they couldn't get along without him. The gang needs Johnny as much as he needs them. Ponyboy ran away with Johnny when he killed Bob, and didn't just leave him all alone. They went through it together.

Johnny doesn't have a great life at home. Earlier in the book when Johnny was in the hospital, his mother came to see him. “She's probably come to tell me about all the trouble I'm causing her and about how glad her and the old man’ll be when I'm dead. Well tell her to leave me alone. For once”--his voice broke--”for once just to leave me alone (Hinton 143).” Johnny said this when his mom came to see him. He passed out cold right after, because he was so upset. Johnny’s dad abuses him, and he never sleeps at home. He’ll sleep in the vacant lot under the stars, or in the houses of the rest of the gang. He wakes up to see the sunset every morning. This proves that Johnny has been around the gang more as family, than as just another greaser. He is always around when they all need each other. He is treated better than any of the other gang. In the book, he is called, “the gang’s pet.” The gang treats him like a brother, not another greaser on the streets.

Dally wanted any one of the gang members except for Johnny to die. In the book, Dally says, “We’re proud of you, buddy (170).” All Johnny had ever wanted was Dally to be proud. Dally said that Johnny was the pet to the gang, and that he couldn't get along without him. Dally loves Johnny. He risked his life to save Johnny. He pulled him out of the burning church to save him, and his arm got burned up pretty bad. He could've died, but he saved him because he loved him. Dally loves Johnny like a brother. He wished that Johnny was still with him.

Ponyboy shows that he cares about Johnny, when he runs away with him to Windrixville. Johnny killed a Soc named Bob, after him and Ponyboy got jumped by a bunch of them. Ponyboy was being drowned, so Johnny stabbed the leader with switchblade. The leader happened to be Bob (73). Ponyboy was with him, so they ran away. Ponyboy could've gone home to his brothers, but instead, he stayed by Johnny’s side. They went to Dally for help with running away, and Dally helped them (77). He gave them money, made a plan for them to escape, and made sure they could go somewhere they wouldn't get caught. These actions indicate that Dally and Ponyboy care about Johnny. They stayed with him through the toughest times, and without them, he probably wouldn't have made it a long as he did.

As you can see, Johnny is more of family to the greasers than just another member of the gang. Because he has a rough home life, he  spends most of his time anywhere but home. He sleeps in the vacant lot under the stars, and in the houses of the rest of gang. They all look after him, and they make sure he has a place to go. Dally wanted any one of the gang to die except Johnny. He said they couldn't get along without him. The gang needs Johnny as much as he needs them. Ponyboy ran away with Johnny when he killed Bob, and didn't just leave him all alone. They went through it together. Even though Johnny is a greaser, and even though his family doesn't show him any love, he has the gang on his side. He has his family on his side.