/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Mystique Academy (chapter 2) | KidPub Press //
Mystique Academy (chapter 2)

Mystique Academy (chapter 2)

Posted November 14th, 2020 by Mystique

by Molly
in Minnesota

November 14th, 2020

Master Wishu sat down in his office and gazed intently at the clutter on his desk. A quill, a bottle of ink, a map of Mystique Academy, a few spellbooks, a sheathed dagger, and parchment strewn everywhere.

Werden nervously seated himself in the small chair opposite Master Wishu. Jaida stood and placed her hands on the back of Werden's chair.

"Things are stirring." Master Wishu said abruptly. Jaida's grip tightened on the chair. 

"What things, Master?" Werden asked worriedly. 

Master Wishu opened his mouth and sighed, looking at Jaida. She jerked her head. "We shall speak of it later. How many were killed?"

"Four, Master." Jaida's eyes were tinted red. "Galoy, Dreco, Thalia, and Hariah. All good and brave warriors."

Master Wishu locked his hands together. "Good and brave, yes. It is a shame to lose them. Dear me, that means I must notify their parents of their deaths. I hate doing that! Why, one time I-"

"Master," Werden said, just to keep him on topic.

"Yes, yes." Master Wishu stared at Werden quizzically. With his two different colored eyes, one blue, one brown, it was very unsettling. "I am to understand that you slayed the dragon?"

"Yes." Werden inclined his head. "Jaida helped too."

Master Wishu laughed. "Well, of course! You had no chance of defending Mystique Academy and your fellow students without Jaida!"

Jaida shifted uncomfortably. "It was a group effort."

Master Wishu snorted. "Sure. Now, Jaida," he grew serious again, "I need you to tell me what you saw in your vision."

Jaida's eyes widened and she inhaled sharply. Werden guessed she had told no one but him of her vision.

"Well?" Master Wishu said expectantly. He nodded encouragingly. Jaida bit her lip.

"I-I was standing in a dark room, lit only by a fire. It wasn't a cozy fire, it was harsh, and didn't provide any warmth." Jaida began. "And there was this horrible being with horns! I could only see his silhouette, but he seemed huge. He was talking to a smaller thing, I think it had wings? And he told the servant 'You shall go to Fremuon, where the meddlesome wizard has created his Mystique Academy. Burn it. All of it! I have suffered there. After it has burned to the ground, I need you to do something very important. There will be a girl, about thirteen, with bright red hair and yellow eyes. She will be a spell caster. Capture her and bring her back to me. I have. . ." Jaida faltered, as if suddenly realizing that the description of the girl fit her perfectly.

"Keep going, my child." Master Wishu's eyes were fixed on Jaida. "We will figure everything out when you are done."

Jaida nodded and said, "The figure said 'I have a very important job for her.' And then he seemed to sniff the air, and slashed his hand. Then I woke up." She looked at Master Wishu for guidance.

"That is not good." Master Wishu said thoughtfully, which pretty much summed everything up. "It seems the dark lord himself, Toros, has risen again."

Werden nearly fell out of his chair. "What!" He sputtered. "That can't be true! Wasn't Toros killed a hundred years ago? Can he really still be alive?"

"Yes." Jaida said.

"How?" Werden asked.

Jaida ignored him. He hated it when she did that. She walked over to Master Wishu. "If he's back, then Mystique Academy is doomed. We need to run, we need to hide the Younglings, we need to evacuate everyone, now!"

"We cannot." Master Wishu closed his eyes. "I had hoped this day would not come. But it is inevitable. We must fight."

"Are you crazy?" Jaida exploded. "We can't fight the literal lord of darkness!"

"Maybe not. But we can try." Master Wishu looked at both of his pupils' faces. "You are forbidden to speak of this to anyone else, understood?"

"But my sister, she needs to know!" Jaida protested.

"Understood?!" Master Wishu said loudly.

"Understood." Jaida said sulkily.

"Understood." Werden drew his sword. "How do we fight Toros?"

"A quest." Master Wishu opened one of the drawers in his desk and pulled out an old yellow piece of parchment. "It may be our only hope of survival."

"What does the parchment say?" Werden asked curiously.

"It is a map of Fremuon. It may help you. One of our old spellcasters drew it, saying it would be needed in the second Dark War." Master Wishu passed the parchment to Werden. He looked it over and stuck it into his belt. "You must pack your bags."

"Our bags? For what?" Werden asked.

This time it was Jaida who answered. She still looked shaken, but she said, "Our quest. We need to leave now."

"How do you know?" Even Master Wishu looked puzzled.

"Because Toros is sending another one of his minions." Jaida replied. "And it's almost here."

See more stories by Molly
Wow! This feels a lot like

Wow! This feels a lot like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Do you like those series?

The plot is interesting so far. I like Jaida and Werden. I like that she caught him after he smited the dragon with his sword. Their friendship feels realistic and 3-dimensional. Are you planning a romance? 

Toros is an unusual name for a dark lord. I like it! Usually they begin with M, haha.

Master Wishu seems suspicious, I dunno if you meant to do that or if he's just supposed to be a Wise Man who Knows Much. There's a thin line between Wise Mentor and Creepy. Be careful!

I look forward to more of this!

Posted by Tía Snow on Sat, 11/14/2020 - 15:40
Thanks! Harry Potter and

Thanks! Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are actually my favorite series. Master Wishu is supposed to be sort of odd, but I will be careful! Don't know about Werden and Jaida yet, there could be a romance. . . I just signed up for KidPub today, and I really like it! (I have almost no idea how to do anything, so I will probably make a lot of mistakes in the beginning)

Posted by Mystique on Sat, 11/14/2020 - 15:51
Ah, an apprentice!! Please

Ah, an apprentice!! Please be encouraged: you already have a good instinct for pacing and dialogue. I enjoy what you're writing already, and you'll only get better with practice! 

(There could be a Werden and Jaida romance, but there could also be a strong and gorgeous friendship! Both could be equally strong choices.)

Ohh Master Wishu's got big Dumbledore vibes... what do you think about Dumbledore?? As a character? Like, hate, not sure? 

Posted by Tía Snow on Sun, 11/15/2020 - 19:40
 WELCOME!!!!!!! (to

WELCOME!!!!!!! (to kidpub)

if you go to talk about then go under authors notes you can talk to the other writers!

_______________________________________________

----------------------------

It' not just a matter of trustign yourself but testing your abilities - Joseph Sugarman

Posted by Olivinat on Sun, 11/15/2020 - 17:44