/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Mystique Academy (chapter 6) | KidPub Press //
Mystique Academy (chapter 6)

Mystique Academy (chapter 6)

Posted November 20th, 2020 by Mystique

by Molly
in Minnesota

November 20th, 2020

That night, Werden dreamed of home.

He was wrapped in a warm blanket and laying on a soft, comfortable bed. Someone was shaking him gently.

"Werden." A kind voice said. "Wake up. You should go say goodbye to your father." The voice was like warm honey.

Werden nearly choked. That-that was his mother's voice. Which meant. . .

He threw off the blanket and there she was, beautiful as always. His mother.

Her long, lush brown hair was swept over one shoulder. She had loving blue eyes and a smile that lit up any room. A smile that said 'I love you, everything will be okay.' 

Werden's heart pounded. "Mom?" He managed. This was a dream. It had to be.

"Yes, sweetie." She gripped his arm. She didn't feel like a dream. She felt strong and solid. Breathlessly, Werden followed her out of his room and into their hallway.

Suddenly realization dawned on him. He stopped in his tracks.

His mother turned to him, looking concerned. "Sweetie, are you okay?"

"I-" his voice caught. If his father was leaving, then so was his mother, which meant that. . . This was the day they had left him forever. He had to stop them.

Werden sprinted into their main room and ran right into his father.

"Whoa, there, little warrior." Werden's father ruffled his hair fondly and laughed jovially. "Why are you in such a rush today?"

"He's saying goodbye, Jacob." Werden's mother explained. "Well, I suppose we're leaving soon, Werden. I love you. Remember, Auntie Kristen will be here soon to take care of you. If there's anything else you ne-"

"No! You can't leave!" Werden frantically interrupted her.

Jacob looked surprised. "Are you feeling are right?"

Werden's mother leaned down and put her hand to his forehead. "You don't have a fever." She looked at him worriedly. 

"Could be a stomach ache." Jacob suggested. "He did have quite a lot to eat yesterday, Karina."

Karina sighed. "I know. I guess I'm just a little bit on edge. Jacob, why don't you get your cloak on? I'll talk to Werden and make sure he's okay with us leaving for a while." Jacob nodded.

"What's wrong, Werden?" Karina asked.

"You can't leave." Werden's heart pounded so hard, it felt like he was about to explode out of his chest. "You'll die!"

"We won't die." Karina kissed his head. "I know it's a dangerous job, but your father and I are capable."

"I know, but-"

"It's our job." Karina smiled.

"It's our job." Jacob echoed from behind her.

"It's our job." They said in unison. "It's our job, it's our job, it's our job, it's our job, it's our job. . ."

Black smoke billowed into existence. It wrapped around Werden and pulled him into the air, so high that he had a hard time breathing. Then the smoke dissolved, and Werden was falling, falling! He was shooting towards the ground at terminal speed.

"Werden!" Someone called. Werden looked up and saw Jaida floating on a cloud above him. Her red hair swirled around her head like a crown. She outstretched her hand. "Take my hand!"

He tried, but she was too far away. The ground was close now. He braced himself for death.

Jaida yelled a word: "Weir!" 

Werden stopped an inch from the ground. Jaida circled lower and shook him. "Wake up!"

Wake up? He wasn't asleep. . . Was he?

Jaida gave him one good shove and he woke up.

Jaida was standing over him. Her eyes were red. "Oh! Oh-my-gosh! You-you weren't breathing!"

Werden sat up. "I'm fine." Not exactly the truth. His body ached and so did his heart. He missed his parents.

"Never-NEVER! Do that again!" Jaida ordered. "I thought you were DEAD!" She buried her face in her hands.

"Jaida, seriously. I'm okay." Werden protested weakly.

"You don't know that. Toros can manipulate dreams! He might be powerful enough to kill you in a dream now!" Jaida rubbed her eyes furiously. She took a deep breath and seemed to regain control. "We need to leave. One of Toros's minions found us."

Werden hopped out of his bed and slung his brown bag over one shoulder. Jaida was already dressed for travel. In addition to her robes and satchel, she carried a small dagger engraved with runes that Werden had never seen before. She stuck it in a sheath on her belt. "Let's go. The people of the Ristic Gardens need our help."

See more stories by Molly