/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ rain - a thing [FR/EN] | KidPub Press //
rain - a thing [FR/EN]

rain - a thing [FR/EN]

Posted May 6th, 2018 by SilverMoon

by Quaintrelle
in timately acquainted with the void

May 6th, 2018

I had to write something in English and translate it to French as an assessment in class, and I'm proud of how this came out. Putting the French first here tho.

La pluie pleuvait à verse. Le ciel est resté obstinément gris depuis plusieurs jours, comme le soleil est allé en vacance. Malgré la période de l’année, la température est tombée dans les cinquante [Fahrenheit], et les gens de la ville errait partout avec leurs manteaux et écharpes. De ma vue au vingt-sixième étage, les foules en bas étaient pas plus d’une mer des parapluies. Les gens se plaignent toujours sur ce type de temps, mais personnellement, je l’aime franchement. La pluie transforme la ville à une peinture, les couleurs coulent et les lumières artificielles luisent, l’éclat de la ville contraste dans les règles de l’art avec l’obscurité du ciel. Tout est trop net dans la lumière du jour. Je préfère beaucoup la peinture aquarelle un orage nous donne.

Peut-être qu’ils n’aiment pas d’humidité. Peut-être que les nuages donne l’impression d’être étouffants pour eux. Ils disent toujours que c’est maussade quand il fait pluie, mais c’est insupportable quand il y a du soleil. C’est la sécheresse qu’est étouffant et le soleil qu’est implacable. Peut-être qu’ils se plaignent juste sur ça qu’ils ne peuvent pas contrôler ou s'évader. Si il y ait eu du soleil tout le temps, peut-être qu’ils se plaindraient encore. Cependant, peu importe où je suis, les gens paraissent toujours haïr la pluie.

Peut-être je suis comme la pluie, aussi. Le monde a besoin de la pluie et le soleil tous les deux faire l’herbe pousser, mais les gens ordinaires aiment plus le soleil, de la même manière qu’ils aiment la journée plus de la nuit et le soleil plus de la lune. Mais moi, s'identifie plus avec eux, préfère beaucoup les émerveillements plus sombres et qui n’est pas apprécié.

The rain was pouring down. The sky had remained stubbornly grey for days, like the sun had gone on vacation. Despite the time of year, the temperature had fallen into the fifties [Fahrenheit], and the people of the city roamed around in their coats and scarves. From my view on the twenty-sixth floor, the crowd below was little more than a sea of umbrellas. People always complain about this kind of weather, but I myself am quite fond of it. The rain turns the city into a painting, colors running and artificial lights glowing, the brightness of the city contrasting artfully with the darkness of the sky. Everything is too clear in the daylight. I much prefer the watercolor painting a storm gives us.

Perhaps they don’t like the wetness. Perhaps to them the clouds feel oppressive. They always say it’s gloomy when it rains, but it’s unbearable when it’s sunny. It’s the dryness that’s suffocating and the sun that is relentless. Perhaps they only complain about that which they cannot control or escape. If it were sunny all the time, perhaps they would still complain. Still, no matter where I am, people always seem to hate the rain.

Maybe I am like the rain, too. The world needs both rain and sun to make the grass grow, but ordinary people like the sun more, just as they like the day over the night and the sun over the moon. But I, relating more to them, much prefer the darker, unappreciated wonders.

My grammar's not perfect [in French] but I really loved doing this. Hey, anyone on KP speak a language other than English? (other than Jill whom I already know lol)

See more stories by Quaintrelle
The French was so hard to

The French was so hard to read cause I barely know any French (I am interested in the language, so I still know a bit here and there, but not so much to be able to understand this whole thing without the help of the English ver. below) but I still understood around 30% of it so yay me!

Also, I couldn't help but be surprised at my mention until I scrolled up and looked at the user- didn't realize it was you who posted this at first lmao

But anyways this seems like a fun thing! Too bad I can only go maybe 'J'taime le chat noir' in French without completely fucking myself over otherwise lmfao.

Posted by VI (*Jill*) on Mon, 05/07/2018 - 07:21
Lolol Thanks~ {i want to

Lolol
Thanks~

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by puppetmaster on Mon, 05/07/2018 - 09:33
i don't know french so i

i don't know french so i can't read the original text, however the english translation is beautiful.

i adore translated texts.  i think sometimes the most beautiful prose is found in them, because they seem more fresh and innocent and unknowing, like words that were never meant to be read in english, but are.

Posted by garrett on Mon, 05/07/2018 - 14:16
That's so poetic my dude I

That's so poetic my dude I reall appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted by puppetmaster on Mon, 05/07/2018 - 15:07
Ohh I saw you working on

Ohh I saw you working on this. I second what Garrett said. 

I wish I could read the French. 

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* Revival on Fri, 05/18/2018 - 12:16
Thank you :D {i want to

Thank you :D

Posted by puppetmaster on Sat, 05/19/2018 - 16:52