/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Sail (Day 18) | KidPub Press //
Sail (Day 18)

Sail (Day 18)

Posted September 28th, 2018 by EJChang

by Eric
in California

September 28th, 2018

Tuesday, August 9th, 1892:

11:22am: If there’s anything I’ve learned from this experience, it’s that traveling in the ocean by lifeboat is slow and boring. We’re still not where we need to be yet! Captain Woods is having us go five miles further north! That’s going to take forever! But John Woods is refusing to change his plan. “I’m not taking any chances,” he stated firmly. And even after we go those five miles, it’s another mile and a half or so back west to land! Really, there’s nothing to do. No one bothered to collect any card games or anything like that, so that doesn’t help. And also, it’s really annoying having Cory or Murray in your lifeboat, just saying. They keep poking you in the back and making rude comments, giggling afterwards. And they often stretch out and lie down, taking up most of the space. Thank goodness I have my books and friends, or else I would be dying of boringness. For breakfast, Marcus and William threw out blueberry pancakes, apples, and milk bottles. Some of them fell in the water. The cooks did bring the icebox, so that’s a good thing. They’re going to distribute lunch soon. I would say that Richard’s having the worst time of us all. Whenever he sees Cory or Murray, he turns red in the face and starts shaking. I get the feeling he half-wants to just drown them. I tried talking to Henry and Richard as much as possible, but when you have this much time to do it, you quickly run out of things to say. Yeah, there’s not much to write about. I’ll write later.

9:22pm: I mean, now there are some events to write about, although they certainly aren’t pleasant ones. It was about 3:30pm, and no one was really talking, just lounging around while one person from each person paddled with the oar. Occasionally, we have two people paddle when the current or wind is blowing in our direction and we need more force. Well, this was one of those situations. Richard and I were paddling madly with our oars. Scott and Shawn were paddling in their boat, and in the other, Theo and Chris. It was really nice weather, a bright and sunny day with some great-looking clouds in the sky. The waves made a satisfying sloshing noise each time they came down. So Richard and I were paddling, right? Henry was reading a book. Murray was snoring louder than a giant in one of those tales. And Cory was poking Richard in the back of the head. I could tell this was really irritating Richard, so he turned around to give Cory a piece of his mind. And that’s when he got poked in the eye. “Ow! My darn eye! Curse you, you worthless piece of fluff!” screamed Richard, pointing at Cory angrily. Everyone was watching Richard now, except for anybody who was asleep. Cory was howling with laughter louder than a pack of wolves. Richard kept jumping around and stumbling around the lifeboat. He dropped the paddle, which landed right on my foot. I cried out in pain. Richard stumbled about all the way to the other side of the boat. Henry and Cory crawled out of the way. Jumping and jumping, and possibly making things seem worse than they really were, Richard finally sighed and calmed down, holding his eye. Then he tripped over Murray. He fell right on top of him, and Murray suddenly woke up, dazed and confused. But when he got up, he rose with so much force that Richard was thrown off the boat! “Ah! Cold, icy water! Help!” he cried. “There are so many cows in the sky,” whispered Murray. Then he fell back onto the boat and conked out again. Henry and I reached out our hands to help Richard up. Only thing was, I had dropped my paddle, and now both of the oars were lying on the boat. And the waves now were big. At that moment, a particularly big one came crashing down on us. The boat flipped over, dowsing us all in saltwater. The other two boats managed to stay in control because of their paddlers. But because of our sudden flip, the Brave, which was being towed, gave a sudden lurch towards us. I was swimming around, fumbling for the boat or the paddles, when I crashed into the side of the Brave. A big hit! I went down, but quickly swam back up. Somehow, Henry had managed to flip the boat back over onto its side, as he was currently sitting in it. His book, my backpack, and one of the paddles had also gone in with him. I swam towards the lifeboat, only to find that the current was going the other way now. I think Richard, Cory, and Murray had the same problem. We were all pushed and slammed back into the wall of the Brave. Suddenly, something hit me. Wiping water out of my wet eyes and looking down, I found it was the other paddle. After that, it was easy to get back to the boat. Cory also got back at about the same time. Richard seemed to be struggling, and it seemed as if he had swallowed a lot of water. Murray wasn’t even in sight. Since Henry and I were paddling, we needed Cory to reach out for Richard. But when that idiot, went for it, he fell and splashed into the water! “Fool!” shouted Murray. Henry, while trying to paddle with one hand, reached out for Richard and Cory. I did the same. I caught a hand, although I didn’t know whose. But when I pulled the person out of the water, I found that it was Murray! Apparently, he had been underwater a long time, as he was sputtering saltwater nonstop. “Hey! You guys okay?” shouted Captain Woods. But no one could respond, as, a huge wave suddenly came crashing down! Henry and I abandoned our search and set to steadying the boat with our oars. Everyone on the boat, including our supplies, was drenched. In the next thirty seconds, Henry got Richard, and I got Cory. We spent the next two minutes catching our breath and trying to comprehend what had just happened. Richard was already steamed with Cory, but this certainly did not help matters. Murray fell asleep as soon as he got on the boat, and he’s been conked out since then. Cory’s been sticking to the corner of the boat farthest away from everybody, whimpering. After twenty minutes, I passed off my oar to Richard. Henry said he didn’t trust Cory or Murray to help, which was probably a good idea. Eventually, I traded off with Henry, and later, he traded off with Richard. Richard replaced me after that, and it’s been that way ever since. Murray’s asleep by now, but Cory’s still awake, reading a book. What a sad thing this is.

See more stories by Eric