/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ thunderstorm | KidPub Press //
thunderstorm

thunderstorm

Posted May 8th, 2018 by HannahChen2009

HannahChen2009's picture
by echo (*Jill*)
in magination

May 8th, 2018

The storm came all at once, without warning. Most, I would have guessed, slept through it, as it came in the depth of the night, when there weren't many awake besides myself. Tossing and turning in my bed, unable to fall asleep, I listened to the quiet outdoors. Suddenly, the wind picked up, howling through the streets and the buildings. No more than thirty seconds had passed before the rain came- it was like someone had poured a bucket on us from above, drenching the world in three seconds flat.

All at once, the night roared to life. Replacing the previous near-silence, the rain was almost too much to bear. I heard rhythmic slapping at the windows- the wind pushing the branches of the tree outside, I assumed naturally. It was almost peaceful surrounded in the wonderful loudness of the storm. It was too loud to hear my own breaths, and feel my heart thumping in its cage, it was too loud to remind me of the fact that, here I was, at 4 am, lying awake regardless of the sleeping pills I had taken.

I listened to the rain for a while, listened to the sound of the branches slapping against the window, and the eerie lullaby almost drew me into a deep sleep. That's when the rain persisted, but the slapping stopped. I paused.

It was still an absolute downpour outside, the wind was still whistling through the streets, and it was still deafening. And yet, there was no reason for the slapping to stop completely- there weren't even small scratching noises to indicate that the tree was still intact. Maybe it had fallen? But I would have heard something if it had.

The slapping noise returned, and I relaxed a bit. Until I realized it was getting louder. Now that I could hear it clearly, it sounded like a flat surface landing on something, with a clear 'slap', then a quiet 'squelch' after the slap, indicating that whatever had been put down had been lifted up again. Rhythmically, the slapping noises continued. Slap... squelch. Slap... squelch. Gradually, it got louder, when all at once, it stopped again.

I realized all too late what the sound was- it sounded like footsteps.

Heavy panting could be heard clearly now, and when the slapping noise started up again, a flash of lightning illuminated my room, and with it, casted the shadow of someone, or something, crouched outside my bedroom window. I swallowed. I lived on the fourth floor. The window was locked, but somehow the creature pried it open anyways, stepping into my room, dripping water all over me.

It was a bluish creature with horrible, large glaring eyes and tongue protruding from its mouth, as long as my forearm. With a devilish grin, it leapt on top of me, and I was literally paralyzed with fear, its eyes glaring into my own, freezing me in my bed. Its tongue lashed out and whipped into my ears, and I black out, still unable to move.

Then, it began its feast.

Sound familiar to you? I'm sure you've met him before.

Or, should I say, have you ever woken up in the middle of the night, in a literal puddle of cold sweat, trying to remember what happened, but all you can recall is an ominous feeling, the feeling of someone watching you? If you have, well, its feast on memories would have been quite successful.

See more stories by echo (*Jill*)
uh... damn that's

uh... damn that's intense

"...and feel my heart thumping in its cage," wow I love this line
and this is as amazing as always, of course. I'm still in shock of how good your writing is my dude. wow

---
"To the stars who listen - and the dreams that are answered." -- acomaf

Posted by feysand (lydia) on Thu, 05/10/2018 - 01:03