/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The world turns its back | KidPub Press //
The world turns its back

The world turns its back

Posted October 6th, 2018 by Ninasilverrose

by Nina
in British Columbia

October 6th, 2018

It's hard to imagine that the world goes on all around us without stopping to acknowledge the fact that the living things in it are slowly dying. Maybe if it once stopped, and looked, it would see just how much corruption it had caused by being ignorant. But the world isn't like that, and it won't stop to even spare us a second glance. It just cruelly keeps moving on, ignorant to humankind. 

I know, once or twice in our lives, or maybe even more, we have been ignorant. We have ignored people in need, those whom are of our own kind. We have ignored poverty and profanity and lack of love in the world. We sometimes even ignore ourselves and who we are becoming. So why are we allowed to blame the world for turning its back on us, when we even won't be bothered to care for our own kind?

Fear. Fear is the source to all evil and ignorance. We fear that we won't be accepted within the society that we created with our very hands, our own minds. We fear that if we reach a helping hand, we have shown weakness. We fear that maybe one day, we just won't have enough power to overcome those whom plot to overthrow us. Fear leads to greed. A greediness for power, and a greediness for more and more and more. We are so lost in our own little world that we never once stop and think what could go on outside of the small hole that we see the world from. Or if we do stop and think, we turn a blind eye as if it never was there before. 

All humans are like this, no matter how much you starve yourselves or never use money to buy anything for yourself, you have still made no difference. Now that is true weakness. Thinking that you are different by wanting the world to change. It's a wretched thing, the world. You cannot change what the world has been like for generations by one simple act. By wanting world peace and protesting nonstop, you do not change human history and you certainly do not turn back time; for humanity has been seeking war from the moment they had set foot in the world. It is simply human nature, no matter how hard you may try to change it. It is like seeking to make a tiger vegetarian.

And no matter how much you try to deny this, for I know you will, it will always be true and will be there to haunt you the remaining of your lives. Changing the nature of humans will take thousands of years, not just a few simple years that you may try to protest against unfairness. You cannot change back time, and you cannot foresee the future. You might think: "I will just keep doing it then!" But you will only be wasting your life trying to accomplish something that will never be possible, while you could have tried to be a bit more productive with your time.

Yes, humans are disgusting creatures that are selfish and greedy. But a tiger does not judge its kin for hunting other animals. Humans need such things and natures to survive, for they were made that way. We need to change ourselves first before we can change anything.

See more stories by Nina
I think the third paragraph

I think the third paragraph in this is the strongest argument. 

Your finishing lines are a call for us to change ourselves, but the first few lines in the fourth paragraph about starving ourselves and never buying anything for ourselves may be misconstrued as making the rest of the argument invalid. It would be easy for someone to read this and think, "if nothing can change in my lifetime, then why try?" 

Apart from a few grammatical errors and vagueness, I think you need to assure us that it is worth it to change. A father told me today that mediocrity is being okay with being not great. Perhaps the key is to get a little better every day? Even if the world around you remains cold, you can scoop out a little part of it to love and keep warm, and that is why community is key. Once everyone is within a warm community, nobody will be left outside in the cold.

Now, you're right that that cannot happen in our lifetime. But we can aid its progress, and I think you meant to imply that and didn't.

Thank you for writing this. 

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* on Sat, 10/06/2018 - 16:48
Yes, I agree with you.

Yes, I agree with you. However I implied that humans shouldn't starve themselves and not use any money for themselves because that would only hurt them and not help anybody. I meant that a simple protest cannot change things and that was wasting time. I didn't say the world can't be changed at all, I said that the world can't be changed by the way that people are trying to change it currently. Thank you for reading this!

Posted by Nina on Sun, 10/07/2018 - 01:28
I see your point-people

I see your point-people shouldn't hurt themselves because others are hurting. Rather, go help directly. You may need to make this more clear in your piece.

You're welcome!

Posted by *Snow* on Sun, 10/07/2018 - 18:37
oof, i've been called-out.

oof, i've been called-out. haha.

this is a strong essay, a little messy but strong nonetheless. If you're turning this in for something in school then I recommend going over it with a fine-toothed comb and definitely take what Snow said into heavy consideration. Otherwise i like it, and now i'm going to go sit in the corner and feel like a hypocrite okay, bye.

"They say before you start a war/ you better know what you're fighting for" ~ Angel with a Shotgun; The Cab

Posted by Unclever Re on Wed, 10/10/2018 - 00:44
Nah I wrote this mainly just

Nah I wrote this mainly just for fun and because I felt like I needed to critisize humanity or something.

Posted by Nina on Fri, 10/12/2018 - 19:25