/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Winner, Summer 2011: The Friendship Note by SamSkyla24 | KidPub Press //
Winner, Summer 2011: The Friendship Note by SamSkyla24

The sky is blue, and it is a warm, Saturday afternoon. We are staying at my aunt's house for the summer, and right now, I am in the van, along with my Mom, Dad, aunt, uncle, and cousins. Everyone is talking, and having a good time driving through the country. Except for me. See, I am not that social with people like others are. I like to be by myself, writing stories. My parents are really worried about me because I do not have any friends. I wish I did, but no one likes me or talks to me. "I wish I just had one friend, who understands me," I say out loud, but no one seems to be listening. They are too focused on themselves.

"Hey, let's hit that drive-through," my aunt says. So we drive there.

"Hello, welcome to Burger Town's fast-food drive-through. May I take your order?," the microphone voice says.

"Yes, may I have a double cheeseburger with no pickels and extra onions?," my dad says.

Each person gives their order, one at a time, until they get to me.

My dad turns to me. "What would you like to eat, Dana?"

It would help if I knew what the full selection of choices were! But I don't want to eat, anyway.

"Um, I don't know....I am not hungry," I say.

"Look, Dana, you are going to eat something," my dad says sternly.

Then, he turns back to the microphone voice. "May she have a plain burger with extra tomatoes and lettuce?," he asks.

Tomatoes and lettuce! I hate tomatoes and lettuce. I groan.

"Okay, go to the next window to get your food," the microphone voice says.

My dad thanks him and we drive to the next window. The man then gives us our food. When I get mine, I look at the bag and make a disgusted face. We start to drive again.

"Dad, do I really have to eat this?," I say.

"Yes, I already paid for it, you know!," he exclaims.

"Why did you order something that I don't like?," I say.

"Wait, you don't like tomatoes and lettuce? Why didn't you tell me that?"

"I'm .... sorry ...."

"Next time, you don't wait till the last minute to tell me something. Now you eat what's on your lap, whether you like it or not!"

"Yes, Dad."

My cousin turns to me. "Jerk," he says.

"Show some respect for your Dad. Sheesh," my uncle says. Then, the family starts talking again, without me.

I sigh and open my bag. I look at the burger, yuck, and the napkin. Wait, that is not a napkin, that is a piece of paper, with writing on it! I take it out. It is a note.

I read it. It says, "Dear Dana Borshin, When you go bak to your aunt's house, at 12:00 a.m., when everyone is asleep, look in the closet, in the room where you are sleeping. You will find a surprise." I look confused, then, I turn to my cousin. "Hey, did you get a note in your drive-through bag?," I ask.

My cousin looks inside. "Nope. No note. Why?"

"Oh, nothing," I say. I look back at the note. This is strange ..., I think.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We get back to my aunt's house. I have a really bad stomachache from the burger. I feel like throwing up, but I don't. I check the time: 11:00 p.m.

"Well, it's time we all hit the sack," my uncle says. So my family gets ready for bed. No one bothers to say good night to me.

I arrive in my room, and look at the note. Everyone's asleep, except for me. The light are on, and I keep reading the note. I just can't take my eyes off of it. What is this about? I read it again. It says for me to look in my closet, at 12:00 a.m., and I will discover a surprise. So, I wait until 12:00 a.m.

When 12:00 a.m. finally arrives, I go to the closet. My hands tremble as I open the closet. When I finally open it, I realize nothing is there. But then, after a few seconds, I can see a bright, blue eye, opening.

"Oh my gosh!" I scream. Then, a hand comes out and covers my mouth so I cannot talk. Then, a blue figure floats out of the closet and takes his hand off my mouth. He then smiles at me.

"Who are you?," I ask.

"My name is Friend," he says. "I am the one who wrote the note. I heard about how your family was being mean to you, and how you really want a friend. Well, I will be your friend."

"Really?," I ask. "You will be my friend?"

"Not only that, but I will also teach you how to make new friends. So don't be sad." Friend smiles.

I smile. "Thanks!" I look at him, and for some reason, I blush.

"Shall I teach you now?," he asks.

"Sure!," I say.

So Friend teaches me about how to make friends, and how to keep them. I write this all down in my notebook, so I won't forget. After that, Friend and I play together. I feel wonderful now, it is like Friend has changed my life. "Thanks, Friend, for helping me!," I say.

"Sure thing. That is what I have been sent here for." He looks at the clock. "But now, I must go."

"What!" I start to sob. "Why?"

Friend strokes my arm, and says, "I have many other kids who need me. Kids with the same problem you had before. But don't worry, I will always be in your heart!"

I hug him, "I will miss you!"

"I will miss you, too. But before I leave, there is something I want to give you." He then kisses me on the cheek.

"Thanks, Friend!," I say.

"You are very welcome. Now, I must go. Goodbye .... Never Forget!" He vanishes.

Even though Friend has left, I still have a lot of things he has given me. The note, for example. I will never lose that. And, all the things he taught me. I wrote them in my notebook, and I will read them every day. Plus, he will always be in my heart. That is something I can never forget!

Several weeks later, school starts. Using what Friend taught me, I start to make a lot of friends. They all see the value of me as a person, and I have Friend to thank for it. He has taught me the true value of friendship, and I will never forget it.

At night, alone in my room, I go into my drawer, and take out the note. I look at it surprised. Written on the bottom are the words, "A true FRIEND will always be in your heart!" I touch my cheek and smile.

Congrats on first place

Congrats on first place :)

Glad they finally posted the results, even if I didn't win :P

Posted by Chaos on Mon, 11/14/2011 - 19:43
Wow this is really good! :)

Wow this is really good! :) It's so sweet. Congrats!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~Jeremiah 29:11

Posted by Mockingjay on Tue, 11/15/2011 - 20:56
Thanks, everybody! :D

Thanks, everybody! :D

Posted by Samantha on Thu, 11/17/2011 - 19:07
Although this story won the

Although this story won the contest, everyone who entered are also winners, because they made an effort to try, and as long as they had fun doing it, then that's a real winning story in itself!

Posted by Samantha on Thu, 11/17/2011 - 19:41
Wow, thanks a lot. :) You

Wow, thanks a lot. :) You know some people can be sore winners...but you're definatly not a sore winner. :) Congrats again!

Posted by Mockingjay on Fri, 11/25/2011 - 19:37
this is good!

this is good!

Posted by Pray (Emma) on Sat, 11/26/2011 - 15:25
Oh, wow!  That was such a

Oh, wow!  That was such a cute story!  Congrats on winning, this was really good!

"When in doubt, yell out 'P. SHERMAN 42 WALLABY WAY SYDNEY!'"~Me

Posted by Issabella on Sun, 01/08/2012 - 14:44
~*~Silvertear~*~   Its SO

~*~Silvertear~*~

Its SO sweet!! i love this!

Posted by Grace on Sat, 02/04/2012 - 21:33